Losing weight seems to be an easy option today. There are many health clinics, gyms, weight loss and exercise classes and new supplements coming out which promise to give you the body of your dreams.
They may work. There are many methods which will help you lose weight but what is important is to shed the weight in a healthy manner that won’t affect your health.
It is equally important for you to learn how to continue keeping the weight off as well.
Therefore, instead of turning to miracle cures, it is best if you learn how to lose weight in a natural manner.
What you must NOT do
The most important thing to be considered here is your diet. By diet, we mean the kind of food and liquids we consume. Cutting out food or drastic diet may also be ineffective as your body loses important nutrients and this may not help you in the long run. Never starve to lose weight. In order to lose weight you MUST EAT. But what you eat, how you eat it and when you eat it is what matters for weight loss.
Many people also assume that exercise is enough. Exercise alone will definitely help you lose weight but it may not be in a healthy manner and you may lose muscle mass.
Losing weight is 70% diet and 30% exercise. You must be very conscious about what you are putting into your body when you are trying to lose weight in a healthy manner.
Ten tips to help you lose weight in a natural manner.
You will see that most of these points center on what you put into your body. Follow these points for an overall boost in your health and immunity.
- Reduce carbohydrates – Do not cut out carbs completely from your diet. You must cut out only refined carbs. They are those carbs based foods that have their nutrients removed. So you are basically eating empty calories. These are the white foods – white breads, white rice, white flour, donuts, pasta, pastries, sweets and processed cereals.
Carbs stimulate the secretion of insulin a lot. If you reduce your carb intake, less insulin is secreted and the body starts burning fat instead and this helps you reduce weight. Also, consume more carbs in the morning and noon and cut them out completely post evening.
Since carbs are important for energy, switch to healthier or brown carbs such as brown rice and sweet potatoes.
- Increase protein – Switching to a diet that is high in protein has many benefits. Protein fills you up and hence you feel full. So you are less likely to binge eat. It also boosts your metabolism and adds more nutrients to your diet. Eat more eggs, fish, legumes, nuts and lean chicken.
- Avoid processed food – They are high on added sugar which is difficult to keep a control of. Processed food is synthetically manufactured, has very less nutrient value. They contain a lot of salt which adds to bloating.
Also, our brain is wired to enjoy salt based food more, which explains our cravings for junk food. Hence, junk food only makes us crave for that salt content more and leads to addictive eating.
- Eat more veggies – Vegetables are nutrient packed and add a lot of fibre to your diet which is necessary to lose weight. They also make you feel full. Incorporate a serving of brightly colored vegetables at every meal.
- Have a structured meal schedule – if you are serious about losing weight, then you must stick to regular timings. Small meals at regular two hour intervals are what will make your body shed weight. Instead of consuming large portions of food three times a day, space your meals throughout and monitor them properly.
- Avoid liquid calories – Avoid soft drinks, packaged juices and energy drinks as they have lots of sugar. This is directly linked to obesity and must be moderated, especially for children.
- Drink more water – You must consume more water to reduce weight and bloating. The amount depends on your age and lifestyle. Drinking water before meals reduces cravings and also flushes out toxins.
- Exercise – Incorporate exercise to make your life healthier. Cardio such as running, skipping and jogging reduces risk of obesity and heart disease. Weight training helps prevent loss of muscle mass and also tones your body.
- Sleep – You must sleep on time. Studies show that sleep deprivation leads to poor appetite regulation. So if you don’t sleep enough, you may eat more the next day.
- Reduce Stress – When you are stressed, your body secretes cortisol, the stress hormone, which affects your blood sugar and makes you hungry. That is why many people overeat when they are upset or angry. If you manage your stress, you should be able to avoid emotional eating.
Full Body Check up – You can consider going to a reputed hospitals for a full body check up. This gives you an idea of the cause of weight gain, whether it is hormonal, genetic or lifestyle based and what measure you can take to correct it.
The check up includes a complete package of many services that focus is on assessment and wellbeing. The doctors will check your physical health, thyroid levels, lipid profile, sugar levels and more. They will also analyze your current diet and lifestyle and give you suggestions through diet counseling, incorporating fitness programs and conducting stress analysis. A specialized team of physicians, psychologists, nutritionists, fitness practioners other health professionals will be involved.
Losing weight naturally is a combination of healthy eating along with healthy lifestyle habits. You must be mindful about your health. Be aware of what you are putting inside your body. Your focus should not just be on reducing your weight but on nourishing your body with the right nutrients and increasing your energy and strength for overall well-being.